Lentil and herb salad and a bit of Greek politics......We are living in historic times!


We are finally in Greece...A lot can happen from the time you get organise your luggage, head off to the airport and arrive in Greece..
As anyone who is my Facebook friend knows I have been slightly obsessed with politics in Greece in the past months.  Historical times!  Anyway I digress...I arrive in Greece to find out that Yanis Varoufakis has resigned to make negotiations between Alexis Tsipras and the bullies at the EU better....Still no sign of that! Obviously they think what is happening in Greece, disgustingly high suicide rate, high unemployment, capitol controls on banks, ridiculously low wages if you are lucky to have a job, is the way to go!  Bloody Greedy Greeks, Lazy Greeks the list of names go on..but when you label the people who inflict this torture on the citizens "Terrorists" then all hell breaks loose..Funny because the definition of the word in political terms is "a person who employs terror or terrorism, esp as a political weapon"....

They want Varoufaki's head on a platter, they want a formal apology, they want Greece to fall on her knees and beg!  How very democratic!  Those assholes can attempt to kick Greece out of the Eurozone but the Greeks are Europeans and will always be Europeans.  For fucks sake the name "Europe"  or "Evropi" is Greek!  Do the Greeks need to change their way.  Bloody oath!  Give the government a chance to implement changes...I am no economic or political guru but if literally all your time is wasted on worthless negotiations not much can be done.

I think I might take this one home and frame
Anyway enough venting......This morning I went to the "laiki", local farmers market...Love it...Everytime I am here I look out for the Russian Pontian ladies...They always have a stash of fresh coriander hidden under the table.  So I bought a couple of bunches of coriander, fresh mint, parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, globe zucchini etc...and went home and made a lentil salad..but before the recipe here are some photos I took at the market..





My coriander lady...bless her

Lentil herb salad

4 cups cooked lentils
1 bunch chopped coriander
1 cup chopped mint
1 cup chopped parsley
1 finely chopped red onion
1 chopped capsicum


Dressing for salad and to keep for future use
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic
2 tbs honey
1 tbs mustard
2 tbs tahini
3 tbs Sesame seeds
Salt pepper to taste
1-2 tsp Ground Coriander


1.     Place 1 cup dried lentils in saucepan with 6 cups water.  Simmer for about 25 minutes or until al dente.
2.      Drain well and place in a large mixing bowl with all the herbs, red onion and capsicum.  Sprinkle lightly with salt  and mix well.
3.     Add all the ingredients dressing ingredients in a food processor and process for a few seconds.  Taste and adjust accordingly.  I added a bit of water as it was too thick for my liking.
4.     Mix a couple of heaped tablespoons to the salad and mix through well.

5.     Allow to cool in the fridge. Taste and adjust.  This is were I added the lemon juice

   Good luck...it's worth it!

xxxx Carol

Comments

Popular Posts