Gyros - Greek Food Odyssey Style!!!



It was Mother's Day on Sunday and it also fell on my 41st birthday so I felt it was the perfect opportunity to try out my latest purchase on Ebay...my brand new Cyprus Grill!...It is the bomb!  3 large skewers and 12 souvlaki skewers on the bottom that rotate.

Our good friends, Phil and Loula are very much the foodies like I am. They have had us round for gyro a few times.  Phil make a mean gyro!!!! and Loula is the salad queen!!!  Amazing!  They were my motivation to purchase this little beauty.

So easy to marinade and assemble.  If anyone is after a bbq with a difference to feed a few have a make it yourself souvlaki day!!!

The gyro itself weighed about 5 kilos...I used half pork and half chicken...

For the pork, I used pork neck cut into palm size slices about 2-3 cm thick.

Ingredients for pork marinade: (measurements are approximates!!)

salt, pepper
1 grated onion
1 grated tomato
2-3 tbs crushed corriander seeds
2 sprigs rosemary
wine (about 1 cup)
1 tbs greek oregano
olive oil

 For chicken, I used chicken thigh fillets whole.

Ingredients for chicken marinade: (measurements are approximates!)

salt
1-2  tbs paprika
2 tbs sumac
1 tbs oregano
garlic (2-3 cloves finely chopped)
lemon juice from 1 lemon
1 bunchspring onions chopped
1 bunch chopped parsley



For sides, I made my own pita bread, a parsley, tomato, red onion and quinoa salad, tzatziki, tahini dip, eggplant salad, eggplant dip from Agios Oros, carrot dip, pumpkin and seed salad with a honey and  pomegranate molasses dressing, marinated mushrooms..
 

Everyone made their own souvlaki..I accompanied mine with a bottle of french champagne...


I hope everyone had a Happy Mother's Day!!!!
xxxxxxx Carol

Comments

Popular Posts